1 kg roughly sliced cabbage
200 grams radish ( peeled and sliced into strips)
1 tsp ginger
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tsp sugar
1 large onion (chopped)
1 large red/ green chilli (chopped)
2 tbsp preferred mixed spice
¼ cup salt
1-2 cups brine solution. Refer to the brine chart solution here
- Place the cabbage, onion and salt in a large bowl. Gently massage the salt into the cabbage until it softens and starts to release a brine solution. Add the remaining ingredients and mix
- Move the contents to your fermentation press it down
- Place your stone weights
- Pour brine solution until the vegetable mixture and the stone weights are fully submerged in liquid
- Allow to ferment for 5 - 7 days
- After 5 - 7 days remove the contents and store them in the refrigerator, in an airtight container
Kimchi is a traditional korean dish that is prepared in bulk using various vegetables, herbs and warming chilli powders. It is made using fermentation pots or jars such as the Fermenta or any other fermentation jar of your choice. The process of Fermentation is different to the conventionally used pickling method, which utilizes vinegar. Fermentation uses anaerobic processes to prepare the food.
Cabbage is known to be an excellent aid in boosting the immune system, helping fight flu's and colds as well as the number one recommended remedy for ulcers.It comes in a variety of colours, green, red , white etc. Not only that but taking cabbage juice helps your body heal faster, aids in the overall function of the immune system. Cabbage is also the main ingredient for basic kimchi worldwide
Airlock – The uniquely designed gutter around the rim features an air-tight seal making this the safest method of fermentation.
Quality – Made from high quality ceramic material with an attractive and practical glaze, the Fermenta crock pot compliments any kitchen with its sleek design while ensuring that your ferments are safe to eat.
Capacity – At a capacity of 2 litres the Ferment is a very handy size, producing enough to store in the fridge and start again with another exciting fermentation project.
Weights – The Fermenta is supplied with weights to submerge the food under the brine out of contact with oxygen.
Hygienic – The Fermenta is glazed ceramic, a non porous material that does not absorb liquid.