For your basic sauerkraut made with the Fermenta, shred enough Cabbage to fill your fermantation crock-pot and place in a bowl. Weigh the cabbage and sprinkle 1 Tbsp. Salt for every kg of cabbage or part thereof. Make brine by dissolving 1 tsp. salt into 1 cup of water.
*Tip - for a nice pink colour use red cabbage.
- Massage the cabbage and salt until the water is running out of the cabbage. Place the cabbage and juice into the Fermenta, one cup at a time, and compress well after each cup is added
- Add sufficient brine to cover the cabbage
- Place a cabbage leaf over the shredded cabbage, to hold the cabbage “down” and place your stone weights on top of the cabbage leaf
- Place the lid on and add water or oil into the gutter
- Do not open for at least 10 days
- Taste and continue to ferment until desired taste is obtained
- Place the Sauerkraut in an airtight bottle in the fridge
Cabbage is known to be an excellent aid in boosting the immune system, helping fight flu's and colds as well as the number one recommended remedy for ulcers. Not only that but taking cabbage juice helps your body heal faster, aids in the overall function of the immune system, helping reduce the effects of Alzheimer and other neurologically based illnesses. Red cabbage in particular is very rich in antioxidants, vitamin C in particular. One cup of red cabbage has more than half of your recommended daily intake of vitamin C. Cabbage is also a good source of Vitamin K, a much needed vitamin for healthy and strong teeth and bones as well as for aid in clotting blood.
Airlock – The uniquely designed gutter around the rim features an air-tight seal making this the safest method of fermentation.
Quality – Made from high quality ceramic material with an attractive and practical glaze, the Fermenta crock pot compliments any kitchen with its sleek design while ensuring that your ferments are safe to eat.
Capacity – At a capacity of 2 litres the Ferment is a very handy size, producing enough to store in the fridge and start again with another exciting fermentation project.
Weights – The Fermenta is supplied with weights to submerge the food under the brine out of contact with oxygen.
Hygienic – The Fermenta is glazed ceramic, a non porous material that does not absorb liquid.