- 16 pears (cored and chopped)
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 cups pecan nuts (chopped)
- 2 ½ tablespoons sea salt
- 5 lemons (juice only)
- 4 onions (finely chopped)
- 4 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 4 hot peppers (chopped)
- Combine the chopped pears with the raisins, pecans, sea salt, lemon juice, onions, ginger and hot peppers.
- Place the mixture little by little in your fermentation pot, pounding it vigorously to release the juices.
- Make sure the mixture fills the pot up to no more than 2 cm below the top (because of the expansion) and that the extracted water covers the mixture. If not, create a brine consisting of 2 tablespoons sea salt to 4 cups water and add it to the mixture.
- Press the vegetables and keep them under the brine by placing the weights on top. Cover with the lid or a clean towel if needed to keep out fruit flies.
- Place the fermentation pot in a warm spot in your kitchen and allow the chutney to ferment for 2 to 4 days.
- Check on it from time to time to be sure that the brine covers the vegetables to avoid mould formation.
- Taste occasionally during the fermentation process and move it to the refrigerator when you’re satisfied with the taste.
Pears are packed with natural antioxidants that keep you looking young. The high antioxidant level is known to help lower blood pressure, the vitamin C content strengthens the immune system and the fibre helps alleviate constipation.
Airlock – The uniquely designed gutter around the rim features an air-tight seal making this the safest method of fermentation.
Quality – Made from high quality ceramic material with an attractive and practical glaze, the Fermenta crock pot compliments any kitchen with its sleek design while ensuring that your ferments are safe to eat.
Capacity – At a capacity of 2 litres the Ferment is a very handy size, producing enough to store in the fridge and start again with another exciting fermentation project.
Weights – The Fermenta is supplied with weights to submerge the food under the brine out of contact with oxygen.
Hygienic – The Fermenta is glazed ceramic, a non porous material that does not absorb liquid.